Wednesday 5 March 2008

Last chance saloon

So, the annual memory test of Promotion Exams has now finished its penultimate sitting.

For me, I think, that signifies one more go at the present system before it is consigned to the annals and replaced with a Diploma in Higher Education in Police Leadership and Management.

Regurgitating reams of legislation isn't necessarily going to help you as a decent skipper on the street, and pretty much most people who have been successful in these exams previously have promptly cache-dumped the vast majority of what they learned as soon as it wwas committed to paper. It proves you can learn lines, basically. It doesn't show you can think tactically, lead a team, manage incidents, make critical decisions and so on. I can see why they're being replaced.

I have a number of reservations about the diploma that's being brought in though. Does a Sergeant need to be able to write a 5,000 word discursive essay on the hisory of the Criminal Justice system, comparing and contrasting the modern way to previous ways?

Can an uninspiring student be taught how to be a charismatic leader in whom his troops have an innate sense of confidence and belief?

Talent can't be taught or learned, though agreed - it can be developed, to a certain degree.

In any other industry in the private sector (which is how our esteemed leaders in Westminster seem to think we should asipre to) promotion is based on ability. Someone showing flair and promise that turns into accomplishment in one role may be earmarked for promotion Frequently they are given more responsibility until they are ready for the job at hand and, to a degree, already competent. They don't have to do exams, diploma etc just to qualify themselves to be looked at.

Not that any of this matters. We have a system that won't change for me or my ramblings, so my choice is Diploma (18 months, a lot of pressure), exams (last chance, a year of study to make sure I pass), or sack the lot and not think about promotion (I don't want it just now, but I want the opportunity to consider it in the future.)

I think the exams just shade it.

1 comment:

Angelo said...

Hi - I know this is such a bizarre request - but would it be okay to mail you a screener for the new season of Southland on TNT for possible review? I know that's not what your blog is about - but considering your readership (they'd love this show)... Let me know! - agianni@youcastcorp.com