Thursday 28 February 2008

Traffic proactivity

Staffing is a huge issue where I work. I have no doubt it is elsewhere as well, but up north, here in bonny Scotland, i can be a bigger pain in the rear at times.

When, as is sometimes the case, I am single crewed, there's precious little I can do with regard to interviewing, arresting or detaining and charging.

What I'd like to do at times like these is get out in the car, be proactive and get some traffic cases under my belt. I genuinely enjoy roads policing, and so it's a source of great frustration to me that I can't issue FPNs and deal with offences without corroboration. It's a bigger pain that in England and Wales cops can.

It's the same legislation - Construction and Use and RTA 1988 generally, but has to be applied differently up here.

I feel hamstrung by this, and this the Scottish Executive ought to look at it. by removing the necessity for corroboration with regard to Road Traffic Offences, and applying the legislation as it is further south, I believe a huge amount of man hours could be placed proactively back on the streets, without the need to fund one additional, new cop.

Just a thought, chaps.

No comments: